So, let me ask you: What's your ideal burger look and especially taste like? For my family, it's made out of a combination of what I call the Three Kings - Beef, Pork & Lamb, juicy, well-seasoned, grilled on a bed of chopped onions & garlic, some crispy bacon, fresh/spicy/sweet/pickled toppings, melted American Cheese and/or Pepper Jack Cheese and served on a steam-grilled Potato Bun! That's it! End of story!
I kid you not, when my family (especially my brothers), friends and guests eat my burgers, you will hear smacking, licking, just greasing, along with my signature, Ooooooom and always requests for a second round! When and only planning to visit, they warn me, We want those burgers! One time, after eating my burger for the first time, my brother-in-law went out to the store, bought some more burgers and asked me to make him some to go! No joke! People thank me, after they've had my burgers. Doesn't matter whether it's All beef, the Three Kings (Beef, Pork, Lamb), Turkey, Salmon, Veggie or a Portobello Mushroom, when it's laid to rest over a hefty bed of fried onions & garlic, Om, om, om!
Truly, no recipe required! Simply put, as a kid, I used to love me some White Castle Hamburgers (not the meat patty, but the onions and the hot, soft, steaminess of it! So I sought out to get as close as possible to the process for the steamy-hot manner in which their burgers are served. I found that it's the cooking process with those chopped onions and steam!
How I Make My Burgers Savory & Juicy!
Note that, in my opinion, the best burgers are cooked on a flat-top grill, but at home, just use a fry pan.
- To garnish - Prepare the fix'ns (Fresh Tomatoes, Lettuce, Raw Onions, Pickles, Mayo, Mustard, Ketchup, any especially-prepared Aioli, Sweet/Peppered Relish, Pickled Slaw, etc.)
- To saute - Chop up a lot (and I mean, a lot) of onions, some garlic, and if you prefer, hot peppers, or mushrooms, bell peppers, etc.
- If making the patties, combine My Three Kings (Ground Chuck (Beef), Pork & Lamb), shape patties into preferred size (I prefer thinner diner-size 4 oz., as opposed to hefty steakhouse 6-8 oz.) and refrigerate/freeze until ready to cook
- Pre-heat a fry pan at medium heat
- Fry the bacon to crispy and set aside (keep the bacon grease)
- Saute the onion & garlic mixture in that same pan with bacon grease
- Remove meat patties from freezer/refrigerator and season the one side of your meat patties (I use Rosemary, Roasted Garlic, Hot Pepper Flakes, Grannie's Lemon Pepper and very little Salt)
- Once onions are partially cooked, place your patties right on top of the heavy bed of onion & garlic
- Punch 3-4 holes in each patty (with a straw or end of a like-size spoon), put a lid on the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Turn over the patties, season the other side and cook another 2-4 minutes - just depending on type of meat (beef, 3 Kings, turkey, salmon), patty size and your preference for doneness
- Add cheese (I prefer American & Jack Cheeses, but Cheddar, Feta or your preference works)
- Remove burgers and onions from pan and set aside on a plate
- Steam the buns in the same frying pan, cover with a lid for a minute or so
- Build your burger - add the (cooked) bacon and with all the fix'ns, each person puts whatever else they want on their burger
- From there, need only pause and wait for all the Ooooooom!
The key to this process is the abundance of onions, a little seasoning, the steam and serving hot from the fry pan!
OMG! My family will fight over and wait in line for them! Try it! Your guests will not forget this burger!
My Three Kings
The Juiciest, Tastiest Burgers Right At Home!
Descriptions, Recipes & Images by Mariby CorpeningTM