Oooooom! I mean, honestly, if you've ever had fresh-made Alfredo sauce, you will never go back to the bottled variety. And you're talking to someone who swore by this particular brand I'd used for years; but, I wasn't a cook back then and always just so happy to be mere recipient of a good cooked meal; single and running, you're just hungry and ready to eat! No time for cooking!
Years back, when I had a 9-5, and I mean, I dragged my butt up in the house that day ... hungry! I remember the aroma coming from the kitchen, I'm not kidding, made me weak. It was Grannie stirring her fresh-made, actually more a Bechamel - oh, but the garlic, the creaminess, the butter, the cheeeeese! I was so happy! Never had a pasta sauce moved me so! And don't get me started, have you ever had it with fresh-made pasta? OMG! Working on that next!
Fresh-Made Alfredo Sauce
This recipe was born out of my love for the good in fresh food and it's easy, too:
- 1 cup (stick) of butter
- 1 shallot or sweet onion (minced)
- 4 garlic cloves (mashed/pureed)*
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (finely grated) (I also add Mozzarella or Gruyere)
- 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of cornstarch (for thickening)
- Fresh basil, scallions or parsley (for garnish)
Although, I most often top off my Alfredo Pasta with shrimp, it serves just as well with scallops, salmon or any grilled fish, lobster, chicken, etc., prepared your way, along with whatever pasta you prefer.
* Grannie makes a Garlic Butter (garlic and olive oil whipped to a paste) we keep on hand and use in almost everything! It takes anything up a notch (spreads, salad dressings, sauces, gravies, etc.)!
Shrimp & Pasta Alfredo Sauce
Descriptions, Recipes & Images by Mariby CorpeningTM